Professional High School of Electronics and Electrical Engineering “Marie Curie” (BULGARIA) is a vocational school in Sliven, which has about 120.000 inhabitants. The town is situated at 100 km from The Black Sea and 300 km from the capital, Sofia. The school was founded in 1962 and is one of the authoritative in the country. It has 500 students, aged from 14 to 19, 93% are male. They are trained in various professions:
- Computer technologies
- Microprocessor equipment
- System programming
- Automobile electronics
- Electrical equipment
11,2 % of the population in Sliven are Roma, the highest percentage of any Bulgarian province. The town was an important industrial centre before the economic and political changes in the country. After 1989 many of the industrial companies went bankrupted. The percentage of unemployment in the region is higher than the middle for the country. A lot of our students come from poor families, or have unemployed parents. They are from different ethos (Bulgarian, Turkish, Roma) and have different social status.
Our main objectives in cooperating in this Partnership are to:
- communicate and cooperate with the people of other European countries to develop a methodology how to assist students to choose the right profession for their future,
- help the students to acquire knowledge, practical skills and competencies for their personal development, for future employment and for active European citizenship by creating videos, guidance tests about crafts for which our school provides training,
- enhance the students’ interests in vocational education, making it more interesting and attractive,
- contribute to the improvement of the quality of education by means of the motivation of teachers and students to learn from the others,
- promote and disseminate educational best practice, including new teaching methods and materials,
- identify the most efficient and innovative pedagogical approaches in professional education,
- promote tolerance and respect towards other races, cultures and societies different from ours, learn more about other cultures
- improve the ability of students and teachers to work in teams.